Even though we are a couple of weeks into September which means Fall is upon us, I am not ready to accept that Summer is over. Especially because I am not ready to give up my favorite summer food – acai bowls. I had my first acai bowl when I lived in Cleveland, Ohio at Restore Cold Pressed. If you live in the greater Cleveland area and have not been there yet, I highly recommend you go. Their juice and acai bowls are amazing!! I’m drooling just thinking about them.
Being new to Raleigh, I have not yet found my go to juice bar that has acai bowls. I’m still on the look out though (suggestions welcomed). In the meantime, I have resorted to making my own.
Classic Acai Bowl
What You’ll Need:
Takes 5 minutes, serves 1 person.
- 2 packets of Sambazon frozen acai – I typically buy mine from Earth Fare, but I have also seen them at Whole Foods.
- 1/4 cup (or less if you like it thicker) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tbsp chia seeds – I always add them into my mix but you can add them on top too!
- 1 frozen banana
- fresh berries – strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc. your choice)
- 1/4 cup granola of your choice (note: I used homemade granola)
- 2 tbsps almond butter
How It’s Made:
- Run acai packets under hot water for 5 seconds.
- Empty both acai packets in a blender.
- Add 1 frozen banana to the blender.
- Add 1/4 cup (or less) of almond milk to the blender.
- I like mine thicker, so I add less almond milk at first and then continue to add little by little until it’s at my deserved thickness, so it does not get too thin.
- Add 1 tbsp of chia seeds to the blender.
- Blend ingredients together until smooth.
- Pour acai mixture into a bowl.
- Top with granola, fresh berries, and almond butter. Other topping suggestions - fresh banana, coconut flakes, nuts, and peanut butter.
Give it a try and let me know what toppings you added to your bowl in the comments!
Want to add this recipe to your recipe book? Download the recipe card here.