3 words – Oatmeal Crème Pies. 🙂
If any of you are like me then you loved the Little Debbie Oatmeal Crème Pies as a kid. And of course the regular ones would not suffice, I always wanted the extra large ones my mom would get from Sam’s Club! A few weeks ago I took a stroll down memory lane and decided to make a homemade version of one of my favorite childhood treats. Best part of making them homemade is you can control how much filling goes in between the cookies! 🙂
Oatmeal Creme Pies
What you’ll Need for the Cookie:
1 cup margarine
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick oats
What You’ll Need for the Cream Filling:
2 teaspoons very hot water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow cream
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
How It’s Made:
1. In large bowl, cream margarine, sugars, molasses, vanilla, and eggs.
2. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
3. Add to the creamed mixture; mix in the oats.
4. Drop dough by TBS on ungreased sheets. (I used a small cookie scoop.)
5. Bake at 350 degrees F.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes,or until just starting to brown around the edges.
7. They will look moist; don’t overcook.
8. While the cookies bake prepare the filling.
9. In a small bowl, dissolve the salt in the hot water.
10. Allow this to cool.
11. Combine marshmallow cream, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in med bowl; mix on high until fluffy.
12. Add the cooled salt water and mix well.
13. Spread filling on flat side of one cookie, press 2nd cookie on top.
Shout out to Nosh with Me for the great recipe.
What are your other favorite childhood treats? Let me know in the comments – your favorite could be the next recipe featured on byky.